Monday, August 7, 2023

Death of a Cat and Dragons as Hoarders

I spent most of the day yesterday helping my mom clean the basement out.  My mom is something of a hoarder.  Not an extreme case by any means, we aren't talking about foot-wide pathways through stacked items or anything, but the basement has accumulated a lot of stuff over the years, as basements do, and she's had a hard time getting rid of a lot of it because much of it is meaningful to her in some way - my grandmother's four poster beds, or my great grandmother's nightstand.  And of course, old things from when my sister and I were little kids.  Stuff like that.

The hoarding thing never made sense to me until about two years ago when one of our cats died very, very suddenly.  She was a sweet little orange cat we got from a shelter and named Biscotti.  She had come to the shelter weighing only three pounds even though she was about two years old, they thought, and they had to put weight on her before they could spay her.  For a cat, she was clumsy, but she made up for it with determination.  We got two from the shelter and they were a study in contrasts - Cappuccino, a big, mostly white patch tabby, is so graceful you would almost swear that he levitated rather than jumped.  When Biscotti made the same jump, she wouldn't quite get there, she'd get her forepaws on the thing she had jumped to and then scrabble up with her rear legs.  Very un-catlike in some ways.

One of her eyes watered and she would constantly get crusties there, which I would wipe off with a wet ball of cotton on a daily basis. Cappuccino, on the other hand, never got crusties.  He is big, even for a male, and muscular, and fast, and powerful.  I wonder if he might not have a bit of Maine Coon in him, he's such a big beautiful bastard.  She was little, even for a female, with stubby legs that reminded me a little of munchkin cats, and she got fat quickly.  When we got her she was five or six pounds, and she got up to 11 before we put her on a diet.  She would eat ANYTHING.  She was a stray from what we were told, not feral, much too easy to handle for that, but a stray of some kind, and I think, based on her weight when the shelter got her, she must have been starving.

In spite of all this, she was kind of in charge, between the two cats.  When she wanted a piece of territory, she did this thing where she would come right up to whoever was in it and sit down right next to them with absolutely no regard for personal space.  She managed to conquer most of the household that way, except for a few places she begrudgingly shared with Cappuccino.  I say begrudgingly, but really, it wasn't - they cuddled together, and she would hold him down and groom him, like he was a big, stupid kitten.

She groomed me, too.  She would come to my bed when I was lying down and get up near my head and lick my hair and head.  Or sometimes when she was at the top of the cat tree, if I walked up to her and leaned my head against the platform she was on, she'd groom me.  Her breath was a little fishy, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.  It sent little shivers racing down my spine, like getting a massage sometimes does.  She was affectionate to me, like I was a big, stupid kitten too.  And she luxuriated in being pet and scratched as only cats can.  One of the things I feel like she taught me is that love IS touch, in some sense.  When she died it hit me like a truck, way harder than when any of my grandparents died, almost as hard as loosing some of my friends had, and I wondered why that was.  I think the sense of touch is connected to love the way the sense of smell is connected to memory - there's probably some amazing brain chemistry there somewhere.  I don't know that much about the brain, but it seems to me that it was in large part because we touched each other so often and so unselfconsciously that it hurt so much to lose her.

Anyway, she was about five when she died, we think.  She used to wake me up in the morning at the crack of dawn to be fed, as is the way of cats.  And on this particular morning, which was Independence Day, 2021, she woke me up, and I fed them both, and then went to go write, because early morning is often when I write these days, and they were fine.  About a half an hour later I heard one of those low moans cats sometimes make when they are really upset come from the other room, and I thought there must be some animal or something outside, because the two cats we had never fought, but it sounded serious, so I went to go check it out.

She was lying on the floor with her arms out like she was trying to scratch, and Cappuccino was sniffing at her.  Her hind legs were kind of bunched up like she was going to jump or something, but her belly and forelegs were flat on the floor and it looked like all her muscles were tensed.  An odd position, one I had never seen a cat in before.  I knew something was wrong, but not what.  She made this sound like she was trying to vomit the biggest vomit ever, maybe, this heart-wrenching, guttural, mucus-filled exhalation - I had a girlfriend describe something similar issuing from me one time when I apparently OD'ed and stopped breathing for a few minutes.  I guess I made a similar sound when I started breathing again.  She said she had never been more grateful for such a disgusting sound.  But maybe in Biscotti's case it was the death rattle?  I'm not sure, but that was that.  Her body totally relaxed after she made that noise, and she died.  I don't think thirty seconds had passed from the time I first heard the moan.

I rushed her to the emergency vet, but I knew when I was putting her in the carrier that she was gone.  She was so limp in my hands, her body just kind of folded and slid into the carrier.  I remember being very thankful it was Independence Day at 5 AM because there was literally no one on the road and I tore ass over to the vet, going like 80 in a 35 zone most of the time.  But it was too late, and I knew it was too late.  I just couldn't let go without trying though.

Speaking of letting go, this is where the story comes back to hoarding.  After she died, I remembered I had brushed her the day before, and I went to the garbage and it was only like paper and stuff, and her fur.  And I took a ball of her fur out, and put it in a little plastic bag.  It was like I just couldn't let this thing go, even though it was trash.  It was her somehow - the two had become connected in my mind and if I had not been able to retrieve the fur before the bag went down the chute or got carried off by the trash guys, I would have been very upset, and felt like I threw her out somehow.  She had become her fur in my mind, with all the emotional weight of the living being.


And that was the moment I understood hoarding.

So.  My mom isn't that bad of a hoarder, but she's had forty years of living in the same place and the death of both her parents, her great aunt, both of my dad's parents, etc, and stuff just builds up.  There's no actual filth thank god, but there's lots of stuff in the basement.

My dad has tried to help her with this stuff, but he doesn't understand and is not sympathetic to the fact that she has formed emotional attachments to it, so when he tries to help her with it, it deteriorates into arguments in the best tradition of people who have been married for fifty years.  Somehow though, when I suggest she let something go, maybe it's the way I do it, she can let it go. Maybe it's because I let her go through it.  Maybe it's because when she sees something that makes her sentimental, I say ok, mom, take a picture of it if you want to remember it, and then let's let it go.  We made really good headway today, I took out like three big bags of trash, two bags to drop off to goodwill, and I took the last little bit of crap I had over there, left when I went to school in the nineties.  Even my dad was happy with the sheer volume of stuff that went out.  But of course, there really were some treasures mixed in with the junk.  One thing was a picture of my Great Uncle Bud from WW1.  It lists him as US of A Company B 339th Machine Gun Battalion (I think - if anyone else can make out the writing and thinks it's something else, let me know).  I think these things were filled out by the family, but I'm not sure.


My Great Uncle Bud was a quiet man from rural Iowa.  And also apparently a motherfucking machine gunner in World War One.  I remember seeing his uniform many years ago over at my Great Aunt's, and being struck by how small it was.  People were smaller then.  The diet has changed and I think the additional protein makes people bigger.  In Japan, you can see this generationally as more meat has been added to the diet - my wife's brothers are both like over six feet tall.  Her dad is about my size, maybe a little smaller.  I never met her grandpa, but I'm told he was about the same size as her grandma, who, granted, was old and hunched as hell, but stood perhaps a little over four feet tall.

A motherfucking machine gunner.  Jesus.

The experience made me think about the word "hoard" and the nature of a hoard, and I wondered if anyone has done dragons as hoarders in the sense that they are emotionally attached to the items in their hoard.  The reason they know you stole a single gold piece is because that was a gold piece their grandfather dragon was given by his mate, Arenisamalirestasiya the Cobalt, as a weregild for killing one of their hatchlings.  And that other gold piece came from the treasury of the Lord Potentate of Rilenas, the Grey Capital, when the dragon took vengeance upon him for denial of the monthly tribute of cattle.  He melted and burned the entire treasury excepting that one piece.  And on and on and on, all the items have a story or provenance and in some way they ARE that experience or that being for the hoarder, and loosing the item is like loosing that experience or that being.


6 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your cat. I also had a cat that died unexpectedly young and haven't been able to get another pet since. What you're saying about touch, the very reductive neuroscience-y explanation would be that it probably has something to do with oxytocin (often gets called "the love hormone" but like with dopamine the colloquial understanding of it and how it actually works and what it does are very different and more complicated than that), but anyway that idea is something I've thought a lot about as well. That's cool that you found all this old stuff, even if some of it is hard to get through, it sounds like you're feeling good about it on the whole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thank you for the sympathies. It can be really hard, can't it? When you are ready, you are ready, I guess, and you'll know it. I feel like I've processed her death pretty well at this point. I take comfort in a few things - knowing that for a cat, having a human who loves them enough to actually grieve them is like hitting the million dollar jackpot. Seeing how comfortable she is in that one picture (and a number of others where she has that same flopped over pose), and knowing she got that before she had to go, especially when we think she must have had it pretty rough before the shelter, that makes me happy. I'm also glad I saw it happen, in a weird way - I think it would have been much worse to simply wake up and find her gone and to have wondered what happened to her and if I could have done anything about it. We don't know exactly what it was, but the vet checked to see if she choked and she did not. We think it was a heart attack or an aneurysm, maybe. Whatever it was, it was massive, and it was fast, and I'm grateful for that as well. No being afraid or uncomfortable at the vet, in spite of my efforts. She died surrounded by people who loved her. I think most of us cannot ask for much more.
      I've heard of oxytocin and figured it had something to do with that! So interesting. At one point you called some of this stuff "the machinery of being human" and the phrase has stuck with me ever since.
      Yeah, it's really interesting to go over some of this old stuff! Some of it is really wild, some of it is funny as hell, it's not all gloomy. And there is some decent stuff in there that I might liberate or reuse, what the hell right?
      As always sir, thanks for taking the time to comment, always interesting to hear your perspective!

      Delete
  2. I think you might be underselling past Dan's skill from the sample - rawer than your current work sure but it has vital force and a good sense for interesting turns of phrase.

    Very cool snippet of family history, love that shit. Have you tried following up on any of it yet?

    Sorry about Biscotti, man. The flop is perfectly executed in that photo - think she had an OK stay in this carnal realm if she was chill enough to flop like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks, man :). That's high praise and makes me feel good. But of course now I get to cherry pick the stuff that isn't TOTAL adolescent pap from the mound. Some of it is quite bad, lol. But yeah in the better stuff there is a rawness there and as you said, a vital force. Some of it is incoherent but that's probably to be expected considering, haha.
      I have not really followed up on it more than just talking with my mom about it - I should do a little research! I will, and if I find anything interesting I will.
      Thanks for the sympathies! I really am ok, though it bummed me out for weeeeeeks at the time. Yeah, that flop is awesome - a classic look for a feline feeling secure and satisfied, hehe.

      Delete
  3. I hear you. Going through similar things myself. My folks consolidated houses, and I've purged loads of my grade school letters and projects. Even thank you notes written to my grandparents that they saved... But then there are treasures - old family photos, names I don't know or remember, an old German passport from a great grandfather, some old tools (and whatever is in the barn, chicken house, hoghouse, etc...) I'll have some sorting to do...
    At home, we have the ashes of three pets sitting on top of the book case. It is unfair that we outlive them, but all were pound pets and rescues, so they had good lives. Pets like that know that they are finally in a good home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh god, the grade school stuff ... and the thank you notes! Man, I relate.

      Yeah, we have Biscotti's ashes on top of a armoire in the living room - a vase in a box along with that little ball of fur (so I won't forget how soft she was) and a favorite toy or two. I've had others, but this was the first one that went so early - the last cat that I brought home before these two was a six month old we got from a couple of kids in the projects that were worried if he stayed there he'd be mistreated. That cat saw some shit, man, lol. He wound up living to be 21 years old and blossomed into one of the most social animals I have ever come across. My roommate at the time and I had people over all the time, and he quickly adjusted. When we had a couple of big ass parties that probably would have gotten the cops called on us if we hadn't also invited all the neighbors, and a couple of times there were upwards of two hundred people in our two bedroom apartment, and would spill out into the hallway of the building we were in and into the courtyard. He would just wander from guest to guest secure in the knowledge that no one would mistreat him and he would be petted and adored no matter where he went.

      I think you are absolutely right that they know when they are finally somewhere they are loved!

      Delete