Sunday, February 19, 2023

Xbalanque

Another Addition to the Legio Solis (Sun Masters), this time based on the Maya Hero Twins Hunahpu ("One-Blowgunner") and Xbalanque ("Jaguar Sun").



I've only finished the first of this pair so far, and I'm calling him Xbalanque.




Here's the whole crew so far:


While hunting around for something to name him I came across some really fucking cool artwork I wanted to share as well.  It took a little detective work to find the artists but it was important to me to see if I could credit them properly.  Here's a few by TW or Terry Rutledge.  The first one, especially, of the hero twins playing the ballgame with the Lords of the Underworld, just screams D&D to me.


I like this one too, which I believe is also of the hero twins.


I also found a few by John Jude Palencar.  I had seen some of his work before - mostly in The Secret - which is a lot of fun to ponder and think about.  My wife and I tracked down that book some years ago and every now and then we get reminded about it and start poking through it again, trying to figure out where the unsolved treasures are.  He has also done a lot of book covers.  Anyway I found this one of Ixquic ("Blood Moon" - one of the daughters of the underworld gods) accepts Hunahpu's spit in her hand, which impregnates her.  It has nothing to do with The Secret but I think it's just grand:


And last, one more of the ballgame, also by John Jude Palencar.  The ballgame is important.  And again, these all feel very D&D to me - maybe at some point in the future I'll write up a post about what makes a piece of art feel that way to me, but for now, I'll just leave you with the art itself, which probably does a better job than I could anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment