Sunday, August 21, 2022

28mm Warhound - Sussuri Mortem of the Legio Mortis



I love Titans. I don't know why, exactly. I think that the idea of being a god of battle is so intense and intoxicating that Princeps become addicted to their mind impulse unit has something to do with it.  The idea of the amniotic tank and all the associated biological implications such submersion requires: the princeps' heart now needing an artificially created foramen ovale -- a hole between the upper chambers of the heart, allowing the blood flowing into the right atrium to bypass the lungs - which serve no function in the tank, etc - I find the practical and emotional particulars of the subject fascinating for some reason.



The Princeps in this model is NOT in a tank.  However, I do have a few bits set aside for a conversion if I am ever insane enough to buy a 28mm Warlord.



At one point someone asked me why I didn't just glue the carapace on and save myself the work of painting the interior.  I had no idea how to respond.



A WIP picture below.  When I was putting the body together, I initially was only going to put the piece at the very bottom of this picture and the piece on the far left together.  I was using JB Weld's 5 minute stuff.  After about three minutes of trying to make it work, I realized that I was going to need to do the two pieces center right and center at the same time or it would never be right and my blood almost froze.  Luckily I wrestled it together before the stuff set.  For anyone who has worked with JB Weld, you know that once you glue something with it, it stays glued.  They repair engine blocks with this stuff.  Getting it off my hands was a week long ordeal.  But it was worth it.




A few more WIP pictures.  If I remember right, the whole thing was about a five or six month project start to finish, though large parts of that were prep of the pieces - washing, removing all the flashing and gates and sanding, drilling holes and cutting lengths of coat-hanger for pinning, measuring, dry fitting, and levelling, etc.  Another big chunk of time was spent waiting for adhesives to dry.  I mostly used the original JB Weld which takes a good 24 hours to cure, and often a build session would be nothing more than gluing a couple of key pieces together, clamping them in the right position, and then walking away.  These are from a little later on, obviously.





A detail on on of the feet and shin guards...it's kind of difficult to tell on the final model, but there are something like 12 pieces for the pistons per foot.  It allows for a great deal of pose-ability, but each one has to be cut to length.





The transfer work was a lot of fun to do, though it was time consuming.  The idea was a machine spirit so prideful and surly that every battle honor and important event it had been a part of needed to be encoded somewhere on its hull visually, or it would revolt.





No comments:

Post a Comment