Thursday, June 8, 2023

More Red City Silhouettes & Some Other Art

I've been continuing to work on these little 4x6 canvasses and it's been a lot of fun.  I have 16 tiles done, this picture includes all of them.  I still have 10 or so blanks left, so I'll probably post one more round of this stuff before I call it good and stop working on it.  But it's been a great project - the tiles are small enough that I can finish one pretty quickly. Allowing me to do things in little chunks that are complete all by themselves has helped keep me motivated.  I said last time that I thought I might put magnets on the back of them, and I still like the idea, too.  I love that they can be rearranged in a bunch of different ways!

Red City Silhouettes, acrylic on canvas, 16 4" x 6" tiles


Red City Silhouettes, acrylic on canvas 8 4" x 6" inch tiles.


I found this sketch in the back of my sketchbook.  I don't remember doing it, but I'm positive it's another one of the drawings from my weird hypnogogic states.  The vortexes / circles within circles is a common feature of those hallucinations.

Hypnogogia III, pencil on paper, 9" x 12"


Every now and then I do a larger canvas.  This one is decent sized.  It's been languishing in a closet for a while.  I might put it up.  I don't think I had anything in mind at all when I did it - just felt like playing with paint!

Glyph, acrylic on canvas, 24"x18"


In my life, I've had two roommates, and they are both lifelong friends.  One of them has parents who are both artists and he had a few of his mom’s pieces when we lived together.  One was an oil of him as a baby, and another one just showed a pair of boats in Tunisia (where she had spent some time at one point in her twenties, I think).  The one of the boats is one of my favorite paintings and when we stopped living together, he gave it to me as a going-away present.  One of the things I liked about it was the texture - in places the paint is really built up and forms little nodules on the canvas.  The piece below was an attempt to start working more with texture and see if I could get that same effect.  It was fun but difficult - I had to keep fighting my natural instinct to flatten out the paint I put on the canvas with the brush.  My painting is no where near as good as the boats, but I learned a lot and had a good time with it.

Sea Claims All, acrylic on canvas, 16" x 20"

2 comments:

  1. These look awesome! Even though it was maybe tangential to the rest of them, Hypnogogia III was probably my favorite. This one in particular feels very Junji Ito, without feeling like it's trying to be Junji Ito, but it's reminiscent, with the spirals. The Red City Silhouettes are so unique though. Do you have the Tunisia piece by your friend? Tunisia is actually on my list of places I'd like to visit some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I am really glad you enjoyed them! I love Ito's stuff, I didn't think of him at all but I'll absolutely take the comparison, lol. I DO have the Tunisia piece still, and will send you a photo!

      Delete