Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Adeptus Titanicus - Legio Mortis Battlegroup

Back to titans!

The Legio Mortis is probably my favorite color scheme when it comes to Titans.  It's simple, but incredibly effective at conveying their dark, bloodthirsty nature, even before they were corrupted.

Adeptus Titanicus started off as my "Pandemic Project."  I decided off the bat that if I was going to get other people to play, I'd probably have to offer them a game, so I determined I'd do two legios.  Initially I was going to do a single Grandmaster set and a pair of Horus Heresy starter sets, and give each side a single Warlord, two Reavers, and two Warhounds.  Along the way, the Warbringer was released, and I decided to alter the force composition a bit - Mortis would wind up with heavier titans, and Gryphonicus would have more Reavers and more knight support.  I also wanted Gryphonicus to have more emphasis on melee and Mortis to have more heavy guns.  But still, I was going to "freeze" things at six Titans each side.

You know what they say about plans...they are all good until first contact with the enemy...

I wound up with a LOT more titans than I had originally been considering, but the battlegroups are diversified the way I wanted them to be.  The below doesn't include the homebrew Legio I've been working on!

The breakdown for Gryphonicus is:

  • 1 Warmaster
  • 1 Warlord
  • 4 Reavers
  • 3 Warhounds
  • 1 Acastus Porphyrion banner (1 knight)
  • 2 Cerastus Lancer banners (4 knights)
  • 1 Questoris banner (3 knights)

The breakdown for Mortis is:

  • 1 Warmaster
  • 2 Warlords
  • 1 Nemesis Warbringer
  • 2 Reavers
  • 3 Warhounds
  • 1 Acastus Porphyrion banner (1 knight)
  • 1 Questoris Banner (3 knights)

I had a points calculator that I made to calculate how even the two groups were.  I can find it again and put it up on Google docs or something if anyone is interested, but honestly you are better off with something like the Titan Tracker or Titerminal.  I think there might have been a 50 point difference depending on what weapons they had (the titans are heavily magnetized, though I got lazy here and there with the smaller weapons).

Anyway on with the show!  First the Warhounds.  I don't actually have many pictures of them, I need more!


Here's one pre-base, with his family:




Next up, the Reavers:



A detail of the carapace.  Happy with the way it turned out.


The Nemesis Warbringer next:



And that's where I was supposed to stop.  At the time the battlegroup looked like this:


But no.  I kept going, adding another Warlord, among other things.  Here are the Warlords:








By the way, when you see extreme shininess, it is because I didn't have the patience to let the final coat of varnish dry before I took the picture.  Spots with transfers get hit with gloss varnish before and after the decal is put on, but then the whole model gets a coat of matte varnish, which brings the shine down to a level I like.  You can see the difference on the shoulders above - that last coast hasn't dried yet on the model on the right.

And also, because Mortis means big engines (and also to keep the overall points values balanced) I did a Warmaster for each side:


This cat was very very good during the build and didn't once scatter pieces or hunt bits.


I also did some House Malinax knights, though I'm not quite as hyped about them.


And last, but certainly not least, the assembled battlegroup!



No comments:

Post a Comment